BLOG - FEBRUARY 2011

Just back from conducting the Bahrain premier of Giovanni. Verdi's Requiem in December with the Royal Orchestral Society and London Chorus was a complete sell-out. We are lining up some thrilling concerts for the next season, including the Sea Symphony, Mahler's 4th Symphony, The Planets and Prokofiev Alexander Nevsky.

Anthony Marwood is taking my Schumann cello concerto arrangement all over the world. It will this year be performed in Slovenia, Canada and Scotland.

Tomorrow I accompany a young violinist who I think has a fantastic future - Kristine Balanas, studying with Pauk at the Academy and with a wonderful natural musicianship and phenomenal technique. She plays the Tchaikowsky concerto and I conduct William Tell overture and the Enigma Variations in my almost-farewell concert with the Kew Sinfonia.

This month I will play with the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra for the first time (Mahler 7), and prepare for spring cello recitals and concertos, and rehearse for Brahms' 1st Symphony and Bartok Viola Concerto with my sister on April 2nd in St John's, Smith Square.

Popular Posts